Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Multiple IP's (IP Aliasing)

From: Fernando Gont <fernando () gont com ar>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:59:55 -0300

At 19:03 19/08/2003 -0300, Arturo \"Buanzo\" Busleiman wrote:

> The source IP address is chosen by IP according to the outgoing interface
> that will be used to send the packet...
.if none is specified, and after the route is selected.

Of course.

BUT you can
CHOOSE thru which interface you want to go out by specifying a source IP
Address.

The outgoing interface will be chosen according to the routing table, *not* according the source IP address.

> However, why do you want to use the aliases? Just because you have them
> doesn't mean that you *must* *use* them.
It's a point, but surely the original poster has a reason. This is a
security-basics lists, I'm SURE he has one.

So what's the reason, Vineet?

--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando () gont com ar || fgont () acm org

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training), October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier technical IT security event. Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors. Symantec is the Diamond sponsor. Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com