Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Ethics Question

From: Paul Ledin <paul_ledin () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 07:52:28 -0700 (PDT)

i can't really see any arguement for u to get
involved.  if your old boss/company is too dumb, lazy,
etc. to perform their duties then from an economic
perspective leaving the hole there is arguably the
best thing to do.

becoz eventually someone finds and exploits it,
company Y says why are we paying these bozos @ company
X who are obviously incapable performing the job for
which their paid and they ax company X and tell their
friends @ companies a, b, and c.  eventually company X
goes tits up and a compentent and more efficient
company takes their place so over the long term even
company Y(assuming they survive as well) is better off
for the intrusion and your lack of action.  on the
other hand if u inform company Y and they go to
company X and say what's the story, then company X
gets a free(or least least much less damaging) heads
up and says oh ya we were just about to fix that.  and
they fix it while leaving 10 other holes that they
haven't got around to/don't know about.  meanwhile
company Y will be much more hesistent to badmouth
company X to their friends becoz they we're assured by
X that it will never happen again and since they
didn't suffer damages they won't be nearly as incensed
and possibly fearful of a slander/defamation suit.

it's like if i see u about to walk into the path of
oncoming traffic, most people would agree that there
is a level ethical/moral responsibilty to warn u of
your impending demise.  but if after i warn u, u say
ya ya and step out into traffic anyway i'm under no
obligation moral or otherwise to dive into traffic to
save u.  and in fact @ that point in time your actions
are probably doing the gene pool a favor.

--- Mike Taylor <mtaylor () ablenology com> wrote:
Hello all

Question I have is do I tell a company that I did
work for that a system
they have is not secure. Background I worked for
Company X(left them because
I could not get paid regularly) they have a contract
to support and keep
secure Company Y. I noticed on an audit that the
machine that is used for
finances is VERY insecure. It is a terminal server
machine that is set up so
that 2 people can get to it from the outside. When
you remote to this
machine it bypass's login and gives you a blank
desktop with the finance
package login. To bypass all you have to do is send
a ctrl-shit-esc get the
task manager and file run -explorer and you have a
machine that can browse
the whole network.

I had brought this to my then boss's attention he
said don't mention it we
will fix it later. The hole is still there.

What would you do ?

Thanks,

Mike

=====
I can't die until the government finds a safe place to bury my liver.
                -- Phil Harris