Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: wifi security

From: Jason Armstrong <jarmstrong () technicacorp com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:19:06 -0400

Personally, here's how I would secure a Wireless Access Point (and the
network behind it for that matter.)

                           \./
        \./                 |      Public
Private
         |                  |       Side
Side
         |             _____|____             _________________________
_________
    _____|_____        |        |             |                       |

    |         |        | Access |             |         VPN           |

    |Remote   |        |  Point |             |      Appliance        |
|_____   LAN
    | Laptop  |        |        |_____________|(e.g. Nortel
Contivity)|_________________|
    |_________|        |________|.1         .2|_______________________|.1

   /         /
|________
  /_________/                   192.168.10.0/24
192.168.20.0/24 |

|_______

The Nortel Contivity is a VPN firewall solution. I'm using it as an example
because they are relatively cheap (See eBay) and I often work with them.
They support RADIUS authentication and Triple DES encryption. The Nortel
Contivity client is available for FREE. It is easy to install. You connect
to the access point, run the client, the Contivity authenticates you and you
have access to the LAN for fileserver access, Internet access, etc. Simple
and secure.

Good luck,
Jason