Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Finding hidden backdoors

From: "Thomas Ng" <thomas () singcert org sg>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:43:20 +0800

Hi,
I think it is a pretty good idea to try to listen to the port yourself. Nice
provision to listen to other protocols too.

However, has anyone encountered any backdoor where it runs a sniffer and
only does certain actions when it sees a pre-defined header. Something like
a covert channel but not quite. For example, it could sniff see a header
with syn,fin,ack flags set then look further into the packet for commands
and run that command locally and reply with the result.

That way, no port is opened. You can't portscan yourself to check for
suspicious opened ports. This script that you are running won't do as well.

How to deal with these?

Thomas Ng