Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Finding hidden backdoors

From: "Tim Greer" <chatmaster () charter net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 23:25:06 -0700

What don't you agree about?  What makes you think this will connect locally,
or that it's listening at the time you try?  I;m not saying that your method
will not work, but depending, it might not and it's not very fool proof...
not to say it's worthless or anything, though.  I'm well aware what
processes can be hidden and like I said, many people use lkm support.
Anyway, there's just too many variables involved--I said nothing about
firewalls either--but a trojaned service could easily deny any local system
or network accesses.  There's many reasons why this might fail--though I'm
not saying it won't work for a lot of compromised systems.  I just think
there's easier and safer ways to check without bothering to try and connect
to all the possible ports on a system and hoping they are listening at the
time you run it.
--
Regards,
Tim Greer  chatmaster () charter net