Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: verifying an open or closed port on an ip address

From: "Norberto Meijome" <sysadmin () lef com au>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 11:02:57 +1000

True, telnet is probably the easiest way to check...but since telnet is
a TCP connection, it would only report TCP ports...if you want to test
if you have something waiting on port UDP/677 you will need some of the
other tools (send UDP packet, and then wait for a reply).

Also, don't forget that depending on your firewall settings, you could
get a 'not listening' from where you are testing, but the same port
could be open to traffic originated from another IP. To be thorough, you
should run the full test (with the port scanning tool of your choice)
from your LAN, DMZ and outside your firewall. (of course you should know
what your firewall is doing, but testing to confirm is always good).

Cheers,
Beto
- --
Norberto Meijome

"The only people that never change are the stupid and the dead", Jorge
Luis Borges.

NOTICE: The contents of this email and its attachments are confidential
and intended only for the individuals or entities named above. If you
have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply
email and immediately delete the message and any attachments without
using, copying or disclosing the contents. Thank you.