Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: verifying an open or closed port on an ip address

From: David Bettermann <security_01 () nerv de>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 00:07:03 +0200

Hi Ian,

I am looking for a windows compatible utility or method, preferably
command line, where I can verify whether a port on an ip address is
reachable or not.  I want to be able to do individual ports
and not port scans.  Say for instance I wish to verify that port 677
is closed to traffic on ip address Ex. 172.16.0.1, I'm looking for a
utility that would do something like:

Check 172.16.0.1 port 677

how about a quite simple "telnet 172.16.0.1 677" issued from the
command line?

and tell me whether that port was reachable.

Command times out / reports an error: port closed

Telnet connects: well, there's something listening on that particular
port... and may even be greeting you with an identifying banner.

[...]

There may be a simple way to do this...

maybe someone's got an even simpler solution?

cu :)

David B.

--
Thank you for calling $PROVIDER helpdesk. If your cupholder is
broken, please press 1. If you want an actual knowledgable support