Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hunting for Mr Badmouth

From: khayes () eastbay com
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:14:48 -0500

Yep, you'll be needing that court order for Yahoo to give up any of that
information.
Since the connection was made to the Yahoo server and not to a machine you
have access to, the IP information stopped at Yahoo.

Ken Hayes
Network Administrator
Eastbay / Footlocker.com
khayes () eastbay com

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |                           |
|         |                           |
|         |                           |
|         |                           |
|         |                           |
|         |   "Bob Walker"            |
|         |   <bobwalker8 () comcast net>|
|         |                           |
|         |   08/26/2003 06:46 PM     |
|---------+--------------------------->

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |To:     <security-basics () securityfocus com>
            |
  |cc:
         |
  |Subject:  Hunting for Mr Badmouth

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I'm hoping this board can help me.  I've been tasked with trying to
track down an individual who posted some comments to a yahoo message
board defaming a company.  Is there any way to track this individual,
short of a court order to yahoo?  His profile is private, and (duh!)
he's not responding to postings to email.

Any ideas on a direction to look or a tool to use would be greatly
appreciated.

Bob

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training),
October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier
technical IT security event.  Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
Symantec is the Diamond sponsor.  Early-bird registration ends September
6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com