Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hardware vs Software Firewall/Router

From: "David Vertie" <verticalrave () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 06:15:12 +0000

Hey there,
Since you are mainly a Windows company, there are some Windows problems I've seen lately that you could probably mention.

There is the danger of rootkits, (on windows) that may disable firewall or routing software on the box (or worse yet, modify them so all types of traffic or servers can be run), the potentiality of multiple flaws in the OS, viruses that spread across the internet, taking advantage of some flaw in the design of a windows box you may have.

Since many administrators no longer bother to touch the actual box that they've made to be a firewall/router, much of the time, these boxes can fall prey for months on end before something amiss is discovered.

_My information may not be 100% accurate_, because i've been semi-out of the loop for awhile now. I believe that one arguement that you'll have to stand up to is the 'Well nobody knows about Norton's software, so how could they design a trojan for it?'

I just want to know though, if you were going to go with the hardware solution, which would you have picked? Linksys? (I know the Cisco PIX has had its problems in the past and near present)

David