Security Basics mailing list archives

Hardware vs Software Firewall/Router

From: <nsm () e-paradise net>
Date: 2 Apr 2003 03:11:54 -0000

I work for a consulting company that services businesses with 30 to 200
clients. Our IT Manager likes to use a Linksys, or a 3Com hardware
firewall solution. He is also thinking of introducing the Symantec Raptor
(I could be incorrect on the name) software solution. We are mostly a
windows based firm with little *nix experience, so most software
solutions are out already.

My reason for posting is:

I would like to provide a valid argument for not using a software
solution, and making our hardware solutions a little more “upscale”, say
PIX, Nokia, Checkpoint etc. The IT managers argument is that he finds far
less vulnerabilities in the software solutions or the Linksys and 3Com
than what he does in the PIX etc.

I am of course familiar with all of the basic differences, I am more so
looking for valid argumentative points.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-security-basics