Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Cable Vs. DSL

From: Lucas Zaichkowsky <Lucas () dnsys com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 12:35:08 -0500

First, I'd like to say that I'm not an expert, but here's my thoughts based
off my understanding of the technologies and some research I just did.

Most modern cable modems utilize DOCSIS, which has secured communication.
DOCSIS 1.1 introduced much better security (Over 1.0) with SSD and BPI+.
We're talking 3DES for the key exchange and CBC for data encryption (64-bit
key).  I don't believe there was much added in terms of security in DOCSIS
2.0.  Cable runs on a bus, but with this level of encryption, that's not a
problem.

DSL can run in many different modes.  The most common modes are bridging and
PPPo(E or A).  I would estimate that 90% of the DSL ISPs out there use
PPPoE.  Bridging sends the data like it's on an Ethernet segment.  No
encryption.   PPPoE and PPPoA use PPP as the data link protocol, which in
turn can encrypt the data.  I am unable to find any statistics or comments
on how common it is for ISPs to encrypt the data.

If I were concerned about eavesdropping, I'd pick a cable modem with an ISP
using DOCSIS 1.1 or higher.

For securing the home/business network, I'd then use a simple router like
the Linksys BEFSR11.  Update it to the latest firmware and lock it down.  If
you have some big bucks, I'm sure you can find firewall and IDS devices
that'll put a dent in your wallet instead of the $50 for the BEFSR11.
Install all the latest vendor patches on your computers and keep that
anti-virus software up to date with virus definitions.

DOCSIS Security
http://www.cablemodem.com/downloads/Security_in_DOCSIS.pdf

Block Cipher Info
http://www.rsasecurity.com/rsalabs/faq/2-1-4.html