Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Foundstone - keeping free tools from the public

From: "Greg van der Gaast" <greg.van.der.gaast () ordina nl>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 08:52:49 +0200

My initial wording was a bit on the strong side. I do recognize that
this might be a justifiable legal action on the part of Foundstone.
However, there's been quite a few times where Foundstone has *ahem*
borrowed code to use in their own projects before and some of these
projects ended up as commercial products (I don't know how well this is
documented but I've heard this from 2 separate Foundstone employees).
This is not only illegal due to its violation of licenses but it also
makes their actions somewhat hypocritical. You also can't expect people
to leave the company and not go do something at least similar to what
they we're doing before they left. Its their job and with projects its
something they've likely spend the last year of two researching.

Despite all this, it is really the wording of the TRO (*FUD*) that makes
me doubt Foundstone's intentions are purely honest.

My 2 cents...

Regards,

Greg van der Gaast
Ordina Public West