Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Foundstone - keeping free tools from the public

From: Jac <jac_des_vert () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 07:00:55 -0700 (PDT)

Fascinating idea. Let's see, I give it away for free
but if some one else uses it and sells it, then I'm
being selfish if I don't want them doing it. I see no
similarities with M$ at all. Get the tools from
foundstone for free. If someone wants to sell
foundstones intellectual properties, then they should
be paying foundstone for it.

Also the terms of use for all of these tools from
foundstone essentially state that you can't resell the
product or any part of it.

Think if you owned it and someone wanted to make money
on your intellectual properties. You do all that work
and some one else makes money for it and you get
nothing.

Jac

--- Brian Heacox <brianheacox () yahoo com> wrote:
But doesn't Foundstone preach the proliferation of
these tools only because they have Foundstone's
copyright on them? It seems they're acting a lot
like
M$.

--- bettyford5555 () yahoo com wrote:

What does the community think of this news -

http://www.ntobjectives.com/pressrelease_lawsuit.html?
 Seems big
Foundstone is trying to keep others from releasing
free tools to the
community.  Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but didn't
they used to talk about
the benefits of providing these types of tools to
combat hacking?
Perhaps I'm wrong and just misunderstanding their
position.