Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Ipchains Question / Seeking Information.

From: Devdas Bhagat <dvb () users sourceforge net>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 03:47:37 +0530

On 08/10/02 14:06 -0400, Chris S wrote:
I'm getting a good amount of these DENY's in my logs, but I'm not sure
exactly what they mean.

Oct  7 19:51:45 furby kernel: Packet log: output DENY eth0 PROTO=6
216.178.84.110:80 65.56.237.226:2002 L=48 S=0x00 I=17224 F=0x4000 T=64 (#2)
<snip>
The SYN bit is not set, so it looks like this is a TCP response. There
was an old post about reading ipchains logs.
I can't recall which list it was on though (this
one/bugtraq/loganalysis/firewall-wizards).

216.178.84.110 Is the address binded to my webserver. To me it looks like my
webserver is trying to connect to 65.56.237.226 on port 2002 (the new linux
worm) I could be wrong about this, but im not sure.
Or maybe a simple browser expecting a response?

I have these lines for IPChains so i dont know how or if im infected.
Chain input (policy ACCEPT):
target     prot opt     source                destination           ports
DENY       tcp  ----l-  anywhere             anywhere              any ->
2002
DENY       udp  ----l-  anywhere             anywhere              any ->
2002

Chain output (policy ACCEPT):
target     prot opt     source                destination           ports
DENY       udp  ----l-  anywhere             anywhere              any ->
2002
DENY       tcp  ----l-  anywhere             anywhere              any ->
2002
You aren't looking for connections being initiated from your box, but
all connections to port 2002/tcp. I suggest that the tcp rules be
modified to look for the initial SYN bit set too, or you upgrade to
iptables.
You are probably looking at a webserver response to a perfectly normal
query.

Devdas Bhagat