Security Basics mailing list archives

Rif: Network Monitor

From: mancuso () lispa it
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:32:52 +0200

Hi Jim, I think it depends on what you are looking for: statistics or just
analysis? For statistics you could use Webalizer (www.webalizer.com)
downloading Win32 for Windows. It' s very simple to use and with a sample
configuration you find in the package you can configure it depending on
qhat you need. It's totally freeware.
If you just need to monitor traffic and you are able to read data stream
you could use Ethereal (www. ethereal.com) or Analyzer
(http://analyzer.polito.it) which has been developed by Politecnico di
Torino here in Italy, a MIT-like institute here in Italy). It's freeware.
too.
For other resources go to http://users.lmi.net/canepa/net_tech.html
Have a nice day
Gioia

                      "James Liddil"
                      <jliddil@phytoceu        Per:      <security-basics () securityfocus com>
                      tica.com>                Cc:
                                               Oggetto:  Network Monitor
                      23/10/2002 16.43

I'm a one man IT shop looking for easy to setup and use network traffic
monitoring tool.  W2K network with w2k clients. I'm looking at Big Brother
but I barely have time for lunch let alone reading the archives to figure
out
how to set it up.  So I am looking for a relatively inexpensive product
that
can give me go graphical info on our network.  I want to be able to find an
pinpoint individual machine ip's when I see traffic problems.  TIA.

Jim Liddil