Security Basics mailing list archives

wireless theft: fin

From: "Robert M. Judy" <rjudy () sfasu edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 13:03:19 -0500

Radio waves are not considered to be "intruding" onto your property unless they cause interference to the operation of some other device such as TV operation, another radio receiver, telephone, or any devices operation on your property. When interference is detected the FCC Regulations require the cause of the interference to be stopped by the operator of the device which causes the interference.

You cannot "take advantage" of someone else's connection anymore than you can "piggyback" your TV transmission on somebody else's TV transmission, legally speaking, because it can be done physically. You would be causing "interference" to their connection.

dragging your TV out to the front yard for pay-for-view is a matter of the license you sign for the view, same as showing it inside to invited guests I guess.

The other way to look at it is that you can reach over the counter and take money form an open cash register and even though nobody says "don't do that" or even if you don't say "this is a robbery" you will be treated as a thief in court and the gain/loss ratio for gambling a judge or jury would see your point "nobody told me not to and I could so I did" is well above a "reasonable risk factor."

don't be a crook.

rmj