Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: gnugpg question

From: Jeremie Banier <jeremie.banier () swift com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 10:38:22 +0200

Greetings,

Just my 1cent advice, could it just be a dos 2 unix conversion problem ?
If I remember well the data are stored in text file (asn1 I believe)
Try to open the file on the windowsbox using notepad if it output the
file with plenty of black square the it's most likely that the file is in Unix
format.
On the slackware box you should try to unix2dos it.

Hope it helps,
Jeremie.

Evil Monkey wrote:

I've been playing around with PGP and have found something kooky.  I'm
curious if y'all have seen the same thing and might be able to offer some
explaination:

- I can create a key pair with the PGP tools for Windows.  I can use this
key pair to successfully encrypt and decrypt on the box I created it.  I can
export this keypair, and import it into gnugpg on a slackware box and
successfully use it to encrypt and decrypt things.

- I can create a keypair with gnugpg on the slackware box.  I can use this
key pair to successfully encrypt and decrypt things on that box.  I can
export the key pair and import it into the pgp tools on a windows box.
However when I try to encrypt or decrypt with that keypair it barfs on the
passphrase.  With an older version of the pgp tools it claimed the
passphrase was incorrect.  With the most current version it claims the
passphrase doesn't exist and won't let me do a thing.  On the newest version
of pgp tools, if I check out the key's properties and attempt to change the
passphrase it says the passphrase I've entered is incorrect.

Any ideas as to the cause of this?

Pete

--
 My system is safe. I never turn it on.