Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Newbie: RedHat 8 or OpenBSD??

From: nobody () dot com
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 15:24:48 +0200

Openbsd just haven't all the features tha a redhat linux box has.
That doesn't make it more secure.
So if you run apache webserver and there is an apache exploit
i think that the most secure box from this two will be the most
updated / patched. Also the kernel of openbsd has many disadvantges
and i don't know if the have high memory support or smp support.

A note for the end, use redhat 7.3 because 8.0 is not much time
in the 'market' .
End.

* Vince Hillier <vdh () plutonium homeunix com>:

As to openBSD is more secure, I think your opinion is flawed heavily.

A box is only as secure as it's maintainer makes it.  BSD claims we're most secure out of the box.
They forget to mention that they run less services out of the box.

As for auditing, almost evertything goes under an audit at one point or another, so why do we have security issues?
Because people audit the code, and what do people make? That's right, mistakes.

As for what you should use, you shouldn't have to ask people this, you should choose what you like and you are most
comfortable with.

This nonsense that X OS is more secure then X is crap.  If you go ahead and install all kinds of services on a
OpenBSD box, and never update them, then your OpenBSD box is no more secure then a house with no dorrs/windows. Same
with Linux.  If you disable all the services but the ones needed to function, your box is pretty secure as long as
you maintain it.