Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Newbie: RedHat 8 or OpenBSD??

From: Anders Blockmar <anders.blockmar () exicom se>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 09:26:44 +0100

If your knowlage is limited this really is a problem. Are you more us to
Windows? If you are a newbie the problem with all types of Unix is that they
require quite some knowhow to be secure.

My personal oppinion is that OpenBSD is more secure in the default
installation than Redhat Linux. But if you know what you are doing then
securing Linux is rather easy. Linux has the benefit of being widly used
which makes programs and help easy to find. If you think that Ports in
OpenBSD is the only thing you need then go with OpenBSD and you will get the
added security by oscurity "feature".

But if you are truly new to Unix and will be handeling sensetive data -
stick with Windows.

Regads,

Anders