Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Kerio Personal Firewall

From: "SFDC Admin" <postmaster () security-forums com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 00:09:30 -0000

Chee%2dHeng Chin <chchin () iastate edu> randomly produced:

Hello list,
           I am trying to configure Kerio Personal Firewall and this
firewall allows me to specify explicitly which service is allowed
inbound/outbound connection thru either TCP/UDP including the exact
port numbers and IP range to respond to.

My question is: Is there a software/utility that will tell me exactly
which service/application is currently listening on exactly which
TCP/UDP port number?

"netstat -a" only lists the active listening ports but doesnt tell me
which service/application is listening on that port for incoming
packets.

I would like to "lock down" the server as much as possible by
specifying exactly which port and service a connection is allowed.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,

chchin

Well it's best to block everything and only allow through what you need as a
minimum to allow the machine to function.

Whitelist rather than blacklist.

The tool you require though is called fport, from foundstone and can be
found here:

http://www.foundstone.com/knowledge/proddesc/fport.html

Regards

Shaolin