Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Kerio Personal Firewall

From: flur <flur () flurnet org>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 04:05:36 -0500

This is more a technicality then a security problem but i forsee it causing problems. Adding rules requires a password, but allowing and denying individual connections does not.. I dont understand the logic. I've tested this on version 2.1.4.

KPF determines applications by path and filename, when applications are changed it notices the md5 checksum difference and reports it. Clicking yes gives your application permission to transmit to any ip and any port, because the admin probably created the rule using defaults. You can use the client component of KPF to view all applications listening and connected, src/dest ips & ports etc.

In conclusion, i'd like to recommend Kerio either remove the password protection altogether or fix the defaults to detect hosts, or at least port to restrict the potential damage and require a password to execute binaries with changed md5s (ideally the admin should be able to over-ride this check for certain binaries). Also make it ask for a password when connections are made where rules don't exist.

PS: Is this material worthy of bugtraq or a vendor report?