Security Basics mailing list archives

Which FW/VPN appliance?

From: Steve <steves_66 () yahoo com>
Date: 20 Nov 2002 19:36:54 -0000

All,

I'm performing my first network installation for a small company that has
4 branch offices and a HQ office.  Each branch location has approx 5-8
users, and HQ has approx 7-10 users.  They will perform web surfing and
the branch offices will need to VPN data back to HQ daily.  Also, they
have a couple traveling/home users that will need VPN access to HQ.
They would like to leave room for growth to add additional users at each
location and they'll be adding 2 branch offices soon.  Total # of VPN
tunnels fm each branch = 1, total for HQ = at least 8.

They also need NAT and DHCP and FW.  They're running Ethernet and TCP/IP
on a Novell network.  I am procuring broadband at each location (DSL or
frac T1) and expect a static IP.

Thus far, I'm considering three firewall/VPN solutions:

1. Netscreen 5XP (Branch) and the Netscreen 25 (HQ)
2. SonicWall SoHo3 (Branch) and the SonicWall Pro200 (HQ)
3. SnapGear SoHo+ (Branch) and the SnapGear Pro (HQ)

Any thoughts to the product choices?

tks,
steve