Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Company Firewall's IP Address

From: Bill Hamel <billh () bugs hamel net>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 22:44:22 -0500 (EST)

Yes, that is obvious due to NAT. Perhaps you got out of sync with the
thread, then again maybe it was me which is more than likely the case ;)

-b

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Meritt James wrote:

The IP address that the destination replies to does not have to be where
the human sits.  Consider that the originator's IP is not passed in the
example stated but the business firewall's is.  That does not have to be
the only 'via' which alters the IP address.  I know quite well that
breadcrumbs are not used.  And since I've done it, I reckon it is
possible.

Bill Hamel wrote:

Hi,

Proxy / Spoof what ?  Unless the destination
knows the source IP, there is no return path.

Remember packets don't leave a trail of bread crumbs so that they can
find their way back ;)

-b