Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Local Windows Update?

From: "Ryan Nelson" <Ryann () village gurnee il us>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:23:00 -0500

If you've got 1500 boxes out there, you don't want to manually be updating them. Are you in a normal domain model?
WIN2K server/AD offers a service that is called something like Intelimirror, that will push out updates. There is also
Novells Zenworks (we use that for 250 clients). Zen doesn't require a Netware box, and is reasonably priced.

Ryan

"Stephen C. Gay" <sgay () ellijay com> 11/08/02 08:18AM >>>
Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to redirect a client "Windows
Update" to a local server? I am not using Active Directory and am trying to
figure out how to keep 1500+ Win2000 Pro clients current with the latest
patches (without using the M$ update site).

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks - Stephen G.