Security Basics mailing list archives

Strong Authentication For A Windows Logon

From: "Alan Blackwell" <blackwellalan () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 14:09:54 +0000

Hi,

The engineers where I work need to use a laptop with special applications on it to help them maintain some plant machinery. This laptop will be a Windows 2000 laptop that will log into the new Active Directory enabled Domain that is being setup. For various reasons we need very strong control of who logs onto this laptop and when.

The current idea is to use strong authentication on the Windows logon that the laptop user will use. The idea is to issue a SecurID token to an appropriate senior engineer who needs to authorise any changes to the plant machinery. By using the token as part of the laptop's windows logon we can ensure that whichever engineer has the laptop out needs to call the senior engineer during the logon process. If they don't they can't logon as they won't have the passcode.

Can anyone answer the following:

Do SecurID tokens work with Windows logons in this way, if so how do you set it up?

If SecurID tokens don't work in this way are there any other strong authentication solutions for Windows that anyone cares to recommend? I would prefer something similar to the above where a passcode from a token is required if possible.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Alan