Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Open All Outbound Ports?

From: Jens Rantil <jens.rantil () telia com>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 12:24:16 +0100

Hi Tony,
Running your server with all outbound ports open is NOT secure. Even if the administrators claim they know all the
applications using the ports they will never, for example, know when there is a trojan horse lying and waiting för an
inbound connection...firewalling is a way to control which services which are open to the net and if they choose to let
the internet itself control what the machine is doing, sure it's their decision (but it's stupid) but it is VERY
insecure.

/Jens

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002 17:33:52 -0800 (PST)