Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Symantec Corporate AntiVirus 8.0 - thoughts

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 11:27:39 -0800

From: Chris Santerre <csanterre () MerchantsOverseas com>
To: 'Scott Plumlee' <scott () plumlee org>
I've been using it for a while, and have investigated ways of handling >the updates of workstations. My situation is I don't have time to get
very fancy. I've got too many things to do, so I need it quick and
easy. With that said, here is what I do:
Every Friday, download the update definitions to a public directory and
uncompress. Run a script that renames standard user login scripts.
These new login scripts copy the virus update files to the "incoming"
directory on the clients. HUGE message in notepad opens on clients
machine to tell them to double click the little NAV icon and check the >date of their definitions. Done.
Come Tuesday morning I change the scripts back over.
There was an article on creating your own local liveupdate server. But
it was more time consuming and still felt like PULL. I wanted to PUSH
the update like this.
This is a undocumented way of updating that I stumbled on while
playing one day. So your mileage may vary.

You guys are totally missing the boat, Norton Corporate has PUSH capability BUILT-IN, you just have to set up the Live Update Server, and configure the Auto-Update, and its completely hands free, updates the server automatically, and pushes it out to all the clients. I've been using it here for months, works GREAT!

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"And here in our server room you can see our Beowolf Cluster of C64's that keeps our enterprise on the very cutting edge of technology."