Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Symantec Corporate AntiVirus 8.0 - thoughts

From: bsec <bsec () cotse net>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 19:44:03 -0500 (EST)

In our Novell environment, we have had quite a bit of success with
managing the anti-virus on workstations via the System Center Console.
Via the console it is very easy to set up every server and client to
automatically look to a specific server for AV updates on a regular basis.
 Thus, you only have to apply new updates or have LiveUpdates extracted to
one location and let it automatically roll on out to the rest of your
environment.  Now the system center console does require some care and
feeding.  We've learned that we do need someone on a daily basis to verify
that Norton is running on every server as our sysadmins often turn it off
when doing various troubleshooting, but this verification can be done in a
matter of minutes via the system center console.

Good luck,
Brett

Scott Plumlee <scott () plumlee org> 11/06/02 07:12AM >>>

Anyone have any opinions on this for managing workstation virus
checkers?  Doing it by myself and trusting the users to update is
getting tedious.  I'm interested in anyone running it on a Novell
network especially.  What do each of the modules provide that you
like/don't like?

Windows client
Netware server package
System center