Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Network Configuration Question?

From: "Naman Latif" <naman.latif () inamed com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 11:46:15 -0800

Whenever the switch receives a packet for which it doesn't find the destination mac address in its "forwarding
database", it sends that packet to all Ports in that VLAN. These are known as "unknown unicast" messages. You probably
are seeing those packets.

One way to block this is to have the ports configured to block these packets by using "port block unicast" however I
don't think this would work out well in most scenarios.

I would suggest moving all your "Secure Machines" into a different VLAN and then use a Router (or RSM) to route between
VLANS.

Regards \\ Naman