Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Bootable vuln CD for Windows

From: "Ian Kelly" <E2chameleon () btopenworld com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 19:40:03 -0000

Hi,

Central Command have a Vexira Rescue Disk System that is free to use
(http://www.centralcommand.com/rescue_disk.html). The system,which is
updated monthly, allows you to scan and remove viruses, Trojan Horses and
other malicious code using either a single bootable compact disk or a 4
floppy disk set (1 bootable, 3 data diskettes).

Network Associates is developing a product called McAfee CleanBoot
(http://www.mcafeeb2b.com/beta/cleanboot/default.asp) which is available for
beta testing. It will eventually let you create bootable CD's containing the
latest DAT files (if you are licensed to use them I presume).

If you used one of these you could ensure that there are no Trojans lurking
before running Nessus.

Ian.