Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Popup security sales gimmick

From: Adexter <hercules_84058 () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 15:06:39 -0800 (PST)

It seems that way. I have ran into similar sales gimmicks many times.
I usually don't allow Java applets to run on my personal systems.
Quite a few clients of mine have ran into similar things and been
seriously "freaked out" as it could do that to a person. It is just a
little Java Applet trick, of which I am not all that versed on, that
displays your local root directory to the viewer. As far as I know it
isn't actually exploitable or even shown to anyone but you.
Thanks for sending us another link to watch out for.

Aj Dexter
Hidden Network Security
Offering Online Vulnerability Assessments
http://security.place.cc

--- netsec novice <netsec9 () hotmail com> wrote:
I ran into this popup and initially it concerned me.  I thought I
would post
it here for confirmation on its validity.  It appears to me that
this site
runs a script that simply displays your c: drive contents rather
than
actually being able to obtain the information.  I could see how it
could
scare some people though.

Check it out for yourself.
http://www.interneteraser.com/error.html