Security Basics mailing list archives

[Re-post] Suggestions for basic software for security

From: "Di Fresco Marco" <superdif () caltanet it>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 11:07:26 -0800

Hi to everyone,
I am new to this list. I am Marco and I am a college student.

I have already sent this message once, but I did not see it arrived (and
any reply). If you have received it (and replied), sorry for the
re-post.

I would like to have some suggestion for software for security (port
scan, firewall, etc.); I have a Pentium III, 256 Mb of RAM, 20 GB of Hd,
dialup connection (I should upgrade to cable connection in few days) and
WinME (I am thinking to upgrade to XP).

Since I am currently just a student and (except for some homework for
the college) I use the computer for personal stuff (games, e-mail, etc.)
and since I want to learn the topic of security (in fact the next
accademic year I will study computer management), I am interested to
basic software and not professional versions; if it is freeware, better.

Currently I already have McAfee VirusScan 5.21 and ZoneAlarm 3.1.395
(the freeware version).

Thank in advance.

Di Fresco Marco
ICQ #51985192

---|
| Spock (Court Martial - TOS): If I let go a hammer on a planet having a
|
| positive gravity, I need not see it fall to know that it has, in fact,

| fallen.                                                                                          |
---|