Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Need Help

From: "Jason Burzenski" <jason.burzenski () kwe com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:33:44 -0500

Tom,

Whomever decided it would be a good idea to implement these systems should
have also considered the daily operational work involved with running them
effectively.  You may be able to bank on the individual vendors for the
proxy, ids, etc to determine the recommended administrative tasks for those
system.  You could combine this information with a risk analysis to
represent the potential loss involved with an improperly manned environment.
You may also find that there is no cost justification for some of these
devices or that other devices may prove more effective for your environment.

A decent article by Kevin Beaver on the subject of selling security to
management:
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid14_gci837832,00.html

A Guide to Risk Assessment and Safeguard Selection for Information
Technology:
http://www.cse-cst.gc.ca/en/documents/knowledge_centre/publications/manuals/
mg3e.pdf