Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: syslog server- how to on Linux

From: "Xander Soldaat" <xander () soldaat com>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 11:32:56 +0100

Hi there,

The logs created by syslogd reside in the /var/log/ directory. You can
view these with the command line utility called 'less' or 'more'.
Although I am sure there are X based viewers out there, I have never
used them. The log files are plain text.
The logging events are split up into seperate files, according to the
settings in /etc/syslog.conf.
To view one of the generated logs, eg 'messages', type 'less
/var/log/messages'. You can move backward and forward through the file
using the cursor keys. You can also search for particlar keywords, and
many many other things. I'd advise you to read the 'less' manual page,
it explains the more intricate workings of 'less'. Oh, just so you know,
use the 'q' key to exit less and return to your shell prompt.

Gr,
Xander

xander () soldaat com  | There are 10 types of people in the world:
www.12secure.net    | Those who understand binary, and those who don't