Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: syslog server- how to on Linux

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 07:46:13 +0530

On 13/12/02 20:34 +0000, netsec novice wrote:
I'm hoping I don't generate flames because this is somewhat off-topic but I
have been googling for a while and I'm not getting the answer I'm looking
for.  I need information on how I view or set up syslog on a Linux platform
Logs generally tend to go to files mentioned in /etc/syslog.conf

(specifically SuSE 8.1)  I am BRAND new to Linux and purchased SuSE to force
myself to learn.  My first project is to set it up as a syslog security
server.  Yes - I have also done man syslog.  I am familiar with syslog
servers (Kiwi) in the windows environment.  What is the method to viewing
logs on Linux?  Typing syslogd at the command line tells me that syslogd is
Use grep/text editor/tail/perl log analyser. Logs are plain text files.

already running but I don't see it listening as a service when I type
netstat -an.  Any help is appreciated... a direction for information if you
netstat -anu would be more specific.
You need to start syslogd with the -r option (it doesn't listen to a UDP
socket by default, but only a local socket).
See the /etc/init.d/syslog startup script, or use yast2.

Devdas Bhagat