Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: USB Attached SCSI dissector

From: Aidan MacDonald via Wireshark-dev <wireshark-dev () wireshark org>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 15:51:09 +0000

On Monday, October 25th, 2021 at 8:11 PM, Tomasz Moń <desowin () gmail com> wrote:
If you have some major questions, then in my opinion it is best to
open it as early as possible - just make sure to mark it as draft.

I've already opened a merge request. (Things ended up being easier than
I anticipated.) I think the dissector is usable enough; the main question
is how to integrate it with the wider USB dissector framework.

Currently mass storage class dissector assumes Bulk-Only Transport. It
should however check the interfaceProtocol value in usb_conv_info_t
data and perform the dissection based on this. So the "shim dissector"
you mention, should really be part of the existing mass storage
dissector.

Well, I felt that was wrong to put in the BOT dissector, but on second
thoughts it's probably far better than what I did. At least as a one off.

I'd be willing to extend USB dissector selection to include more than
just interface class if that would be a welcome addition, since that's
really the problem I'm trying to paper over.