Wireshark mailing list archives

TCP reassembly fails when ethernet tunnled over TCP

From: Anders Broman via Wireshark-dev <wireshark-dev () wireshark org>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 12:57:18 +0000

Hi,

We have a proprietary protocol sending usually small frames mixed with
larger tunneled ethernet frames over TCP. If we then have a TCP segment
where the ethernet frame

Spans 2 segments reassembly fails presumably because pinfo does not have the
IP address of the TCP segment. I think we would need a way to create a new
pinfo structure

For the tunneled frame? How to do that or some other way to solve the
problem? In our case we only have ethernet and a vlan tag then our protocol
again so

We "fixed" that by dissecting those bytes in the internal dissector. But I
think it may be a generic problem for tunneling that may deserve a proper
fix.

tcp_dissect_pdus() is used

Regards

Anders