Wireshark mailing list archives

Parameters for extcap

From: Jirka Novak <j.novak () netsystem cz>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 00:53:46 +0100

Hi,

  Wireshark is able to run external captures (extcap). Extcap tools can
provide configuration description which Wireshark shows as dialog and
stores in advanced properties.
  I'm observing two strange things I understood as bug.

1) If the tools provides as type of setting 'password', it is not stored
permanently. It is correct.
The issue is, that password is not remembered over runtime. So if I run
extcap twice in row, second run has empty password :-(
I think it is related to #14221, but I think that it should remember
password till application is closed.

2) If the tool provides default value for a setting, it is stored in
preference. If I change the value, it is stored too. It is correct.
The issue is, that if I clear the value to do not pass the value to
extcap (it is not required), the empty value is not stored so next run
default value is again used.

Both issues are very annoying.

My plan is to change it:
- remember password during runtime
- store empty values

My worry is about storing empty values to preferences. I'm afraid that
the framework uses empty value to remove settings from preference.

Can I ask for comments and advices before I will proceed?

                                        Best regards,

                                                Jirka Novak