Wireshark mailing list archives

Adding GPS data from Kismet as Expert Info?

From: Erik Hjelmvik <erik.hjelmvik () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 11:13:47 +0200

Hi all,

I have discovered that Kismet can generate pcap-ng files that contain GPS
coordinates stored in custom option fields. I've started thinking about how
this GPS data can be represented in Wireshark or tshark. The GPS options
are attached to standard Enhanced Packet Blocks, so they could be
considered as meta-data for a frame. Would it make sense to show the
lat/long coordinates from the Kismet GPS option as Expert Info
(_ws.expert)? Or do you have a better suggestion of how to display this
data?

For reference, here is the definition of the custom Kismet GPS option:
https://kismetwireless.net/docs/devel/pcapng-gps/

Best regards,
Erik Hjelmvik