Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Calling a dissector: Type for data parameter

From: John Thacker <johnthacker () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 22:35:34 -0400

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 9:28 PM João Valverde via Wireshark-dev <
wireshark-dev () wireshark org> wrote:

On 22/06/21 01:26, John Thacker wrote:
On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 2:21 PM João Valverde via Wireshark-dev
<wireshark-dev () wireshark org <mailto:wireshark-dev () wireshark org>>
wrote:

    On 16/06/21 15:36, David Perry wrote:
     > Sorry to drag up an old topic, but I've been thinking about this:
     >
     >> Message: 5
     >> Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 09:32:29 +0200
     >> From: Anders Broman <a.broman58 () gmail com
    <mailto:a.broman58 () gmail com>>
     >> To: Developer support list for Wireshark
    <wireshark-dev () wireshark org <mailto:wireshark-dev () wireshark org>>
     >> Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Calling a dissector: Type for data
     >>     parameter
         <CAOpyz=
zDycm33PXUwtBCTew7gTTEcSLiJ-f8SHW0L-863Q517A () mail gmail com <mailto:
zDycm33PXUwtBCTew7gTTEcSLiJ-f8SHW0L-863Q517A () mail gmail com>>

     >> Hi,
     >> Yes the method is fragile. At the time of development I think it
was
     >> proposed to pass a struct containing a string and the void
    pointer where
     >> the string could be used as a identifier. But that was voted
down.
     >> Regards
     >> Anders
     >
     > I wasn't around for that discussion so I don't know the reasons,
but
     > how does this sound as a refined approach?:
     >
     > * Define a `dissector_data_t` that has a `guint32` identifier
field,
     > and a `void *` data field.
     >
     > * Replace the `void *data` parameter to dissectors with a pointer
    to a
     > `dissector_data_t`.
     >
     > * Either:
     >
     >     * Easy way: maintain a static list of identifiers that map to
     > expected data types, or
     >
     >     * Have dissector X request an identifier in its registration
     > function for the type of data it expects, and have dissector Y
    (which
     > will call X) request, in its handoff function, the identifier of
the
     > type of data it needs to pass to X.
     >
     > * Dissectors check for the right identifier in their
     > `dissector_data_t` parameter and don't try to use it if it's
wrong.

     > Thoughts?

    I think what you suggest would be the most straightforward fix.

    To avoid breaking backward compatibility and changing thousands of
    dissectors at the same time, both of which are highly problematic, it
    can be done by adding a new dissector type (like it was done with
    "dissector_cb_t", only using a different signature).[1]

    Also a giant static list of dissector_data_t type identifiers would
be
    pretty clunky. I think we could recycle the protocol registration
    number
    for that.

Perhaps I don't quite understand, but what would be the point if the
protocol registration number were used? Presumably that is the number
for the called protocol, based on what David outlined (the called
protocol registering what data it expects.) But the calling dissector
would always have that number (via dissector_handle_get_protocol_index()
) and pass it in, which wouldn't provide any guarantee that the data
passed in was the correct type than what is being done now.

The only way that I see it would make sense to pass in an identifier is
if a protocol registers multiple data types it might expect to be passed
in when called from different types (whether in one dissect_proto()
function or multiple ones), in which case the protocol registration
number couldn't be used, or if the identifier is instead related to the
calling protocol and controlled by it (which is perhaps for this method
of calling the wrong dependency direction, unlike with dissector tables
where the calling protocol does control the passed data type, e.g.
packet-ip always passes a ws_ip4* to the "ip proto" table or its
heuristic subdissector table.)

That doesn't sound like what's being proposed, though, so I am confused.

The way I proposed it the identifier is related to the calling protocol
and controlled by it. It refers to the first suggestion above: "Easy
way: maintain a static list of identifiers that map to expected data types"

Instead of having the biggest enum ever of static data identifiers we
can use the protocol registration number. There would probably be other
fields too, like version and flags, TBD).

Dissectors registering on the "ip.proto" table can receive a ws_ip4 or a
ws_ip6, the first byte is the type, so I don't follow your example
either. It's not really true that there is always a ws_ip4 pointer.

Ah, yes, I see, packet-ipv6 calls the same ip_try_dissect() function from
packet-ip, only with a ws_ip6 as the void* iph parameter. So I had that
quite wrong, and that's a good case for why the current situation is
fragile, since any function called in that table (or the heuristic table)
can be passed either a ws_ip4 or ws_ip6 pointer. Though at least as you say
they can look at the first byte to determine the version (as in
ws_ip_protocol() and packet-tapa.c). Though in practice most of them don't
do anything with the passed in data, aside from ICMP, ICMP for IPv6, and
the IPv6 extension header types that can reasonably guarantee what they're
getting.

The way I read the previous suggestion you responded to ("dissector X
request an identifier in its registration function for the type of data it
expects") made it sound like the called function would register the type of
data it expected, in which case the "list of static data identifiers" would
have been indexed by the called protocol, or by some reduced set if some
protocols expected the same data. My assumption is that the motivation was
for the called protocols to be able to determine if the data passed in from
a calling protocol (possibly a newly written dissector or plugin) was the
correct type without having to know specifically about the calling
protocol, even in the case of the dissector being a newly written plugin
with a previously unknown protocol registration id. I suppose that could
still be possible that way.

John