Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Writing a wtap module for CommView WLAN Analyzer and Decoder NCFX format files

From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 15:45:08 -0700

On Apr 19, 2021, at 10:02 AM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe () gmail com> wrote:

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 9:30 PM Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net> wrote:

We may want to change the 802.11 pseudo-header to have data rates in units of 100 Kb/s rather than 500 Kb/s, to
handle NCFX and possibly other files.  (We might also want to add support for "scaled integer" fields, which display
not as the raw value but as the value multiplied by/divided by a scaling factor, if avoiding inaccuracies due to
scaling values not being representable exactly as floating-point binary numbers (.5 can, .1 can't).

I think the problem will be that the radiotap HE and other headers
support much more info than what you have suggested.

That suggestion was a specific change to deal with a particular problem, not a suggestion intended to handle all future
issues.  The pseudo-header should be expanded to include whatever is needed for all forms of 802.11 metadata.

Will we also add things like GI, LFT symbol size, # LTF symbols, Pre
FEC padding, etc, to the pseudo-header?

Yes, we should.

In addition, radiotap now supports TLVs (since they ran out of bits in
the features word). However, that is possibly easier to handle, since
an unknown TLV can simply be displayed as raw bytes.

Yes, the idea was originally that, for any newly-added field, there is:

        code that doesn't understand the newly-added field, in which case it presumably won't understand fields added
after the newly-added field, so it's OK to stop parsing at the last field the code *does* understand;

        code that does understand the newly-added field, in which case it can parse it, and stop if it runs across a
field it doesn't understand.

Any code that handles TLVs also needs to handle all the fields added prior to the addition of TLVs.

There's also a provision for vendor-specific fields in radiotap.  We might need a mechanism to allow dissectors to
register to handle either radiotap TLVs or vendor-specific fields.