Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Windows update on development version

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice () trihedral com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 11:09:38 +0000

On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 at 10:32, Dario Lombardo <lomato () gmail com> wrote:

Hi,
I'm not that used to builds on windows, then maybe what happened is
perfectly normal.
I fired up a dev version of wireshark and suddenly wireshark asked me if I
wanted to update to a newer version. I have no idea of what would have
happened if I accepted.
Shouldn't updates be disabled on builded versions? That is what I would
expect. Or is it normal?
Thanks.
Dario.

Perfectly normal, it simply compares the version number installed to
current stable (by default), no notice is taken if it's a custom build or a
regular release.
The check can be disabled with the gui.update.enabled setting if you wish
and the reference version can be set to development with gui.update.channel.

--
Graham Bloice