Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Indicate [Generated] field on Display Filter Reference page

From: chuck c <bubbasnmp () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 15:43:13 -0600

Thank you for the explanation.
Chipping away at my "10,000 hours"  - so much to learn.

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 3:14 PM Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net> wrote:

On Nov 14, 2020, at 12:28 PM, chuck c <bubbasnmp () gmail com> wrote:

Is the code behind various web pages (dfref, OUI lookup, string-cf, ...)
in Gitlab?

Before opening an issue, I thought I would look at how dfref is
generated.
Would be nice to mark/flag fields as being Wireshark generated but maybe
not easily done.

A given field could be both generated and not generated - some instances
could come from a packet's contents and others could be calculated from
other information.

I.e., "generated" is a property of an instance of a field, not of a field;
that's why the code sample you showed has a separate call to
proto_item_set_generated().

That may not be the case for *all* fields that have generated instances,
but there might be some fields that have both generated and non-generated
instances.