Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Proposed changes to make tcp.ack and tcp.seq relative

From: Jasper Bongertz <jasper () packet-foo com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 01:24:33 +0200

Hello Peter,

A request was filed earlier to add a new "tcp.ack_rel" field to ensure
that color filters can be created that always work on the relative
sequence numbers independent of the "Relative sequence numbers" option.
Instead of adding a new field, I propose to change the existing ones.

My proposed change:

 - Change the TCP sequence number-related fields to display the relative
   numbers when available. Fallback to raw numbers if they are simply
   not available (for example, when the "Analyze TCP sequence numbers"
   preference is disabled).

To avoid cluttering the TCP tree with redundant fields: can we only show the
absolutes if the relatives are also displayed? I don't think it's useful to
show the absolutes twice.

 - Modify the "Relative sequence numbers" preference to affect the
   displayed value in the Info column only.

Good.

 - The raw fields will always be available through the existing
   tcp.ack_abs and tcp.seq_abs fields. Previously they were only visible
   when "Relative sequence numbers" was disabled. This field was added
   in Wireshark 3.2.

I guess you mean "were only visible when "Relative sequence numbers" was **enabled**?
At least that's what my Wireshark does, unless I'm not thinking straight right
now (at 1:30am, it's quite possible...) :-)

 - Document these changes clearly in the release notes and corresponding
   user guides if needed.

Are there any objections to this change?

No, sounds like a good solution (the "document clearly" is indeed critical here,
I guess). And I hadn't even noticed the new way of displaying
the relative sequence numbers in 3.2 yet :-)

Cheers,
Jasper