Wireshark mailing list archives

Support Opus in WireShark

From: ryanlee () mail ustc edu cn
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 15:08:10 +0800 (GMT+08:00)

Hello everyone

Because Opus is a totally open audio codec and very useful, I want to make WireShark support Opus so that the WireShark
can play Opus audio RTP stream and save. Ihadsomeattempts.PuttheOpusintotheplugins/codecs.
NowWireSharkcanplayandsaveOpusaudioRTPstreamliketheg711, g722. TosupportOpusandFEC(ForwardErrorCorrection),
Ichangedsomecode:

Here is the change:
1、Change a function with C++ default parameters
Origin version:   size_t convert_payload_to_samples(unsigned int payload_type, QTemporaryFile *tempfile, uint8_t
*pd_out, size_t expected_nchars, struct _GHashTable *decoders_hash );
     MyChanged version:  size_t convert_payload_to_samples(unsigned int payload_type, QTemporaryFile *tempfile, uint8_t
*pd_out, size_t expected_nchars, struct _GHashTable *decoders_hash , size_t fecflag = 0);
2、Add some codes to support OPus fec、play and save.In my opinion these codes don't affect other functions.(In the
files: rtp_audio_stream.cpp   rtp_audio_stream.cpp )

I don't know whether the change is useful and meets specifications.

The other question:  In the RTP protocol, Opus don't have a fixed payload type.  Now I write the payload type into
macro. DoesithaveagoodwaytoletuserchoosetheOpuspayloadtype? Althoughtried ,Ifailed~~ I don'tknowhowtorealizeit.

It is my first time to participate in a open source project. And I want to make a contribution. I don't know whether it
is a good way to plugin Opus into WireShark or not. If  not , is there a better way?  I want to know and try it!

    Best regards,

    Ryan Lee