Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark, low MSS and CVE-2019-11477, 11478 and 11479

From: Alexis La Goutte <alexis.lagoutte () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 20:38:28 +0100

Hi Chris,

I think, it is a good idea and no too complicated to implement !

Cheers

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 8:58 PM Maynard, Chris via Wireshark-dev <
wireshark-dev () wireshark org> wrote:

In light of these 3 CVE’s, CVE-2019-11477, 11478 and 11479[3], and the
apparently effective work-around to avoid them according to the recent
December 2019 Internet Protocol Journal[4] article, *“MSS Values of TCP”*
by Geoff Huston, should Wireshark add an Expert Info for any TCP MSS value
seen of 500 or lower, especially for TCP connections that are terminated
via RST, as the low MSS value may be the reason for the TCP connection
reset?

To quote the article:

As for the CVE mitigation advice to refuse a connection attempt when the
remote-end MSS value is 500 or lower, I’d say that’s good advice. It seems
that the low MSS values are the result of some form of mis­configuration or
error, and rather than attempting to mask over the error and persisting
with an essentially broken TCP connection that is prone to generating a
packet deluge, the best option is to just say “no” at the outset. If we all
do that, then the misconfiguration will be quickly identified and fixed,
rather than being silently masked over.

It's that last sentence that caught my eye and made me think that
Wireshark could help quickly identify the MSS misconfiguration if something
like an Expert Info were added.
- Chris
[1]: *https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2019-11477*
<https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2019-11477>
[2]: *https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2019-11478*
<https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2019-11478>
[3]: *https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2019-11479*
<https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2019-11479>
[4]: *https://ipj.dreamhosters.com/* <https://ipj.dreamhosters.com/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is the property of International Game
Technology PLC and/or its subsidiaries and may contain proprietary,
confidential or trade secret information. This message is intended solely
for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient and
have received this message in error, please delete this message from your
system. Any unauthorized reading, distribution, copying, or other use of
this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.