Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Code of Conduct for our community

From: Uli Heilmeier <zeugs () heilmeier eu>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 11:15:22 +0200

Am 05.08.20 um 19:06 schrieb Richard Sharpe:
On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 8:49 AM Uli Heilmeier <zeugs () heilmeier eu> wrote:

Thanks for your feedback Richard!

As discussed in the last Remote Developer Den meeting I see a Code of Conduct (CoC) as helpful for our community.

Why? Nothing is broken at the moment, so nothing needs fixing, AFAICT.

For me this is about improving and not about fixing.

I would suggest the following alternative approach that the Samba team
seems to have adopted:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/How_to_do_Samba:_Nicely

The Samba CoC can also be a starting point. I'm missing here a clear encouragement for diversity and openness.
The scope should also be a broader (we have ask.wireshark.org and Sharkfest etc.).

As far as I can recall, there have been no instances of the behavior
the Contributor Covenant seems to protect against, so what is the
point here?

It defines clear expectations and rules. Of course it can't protect against violating the rules (like it is with all
kind of rules and laws).

Cheers
Uli