Wireshark mailing list archives

GitLab migration update

From: Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2020 21:33:28 -0700

The Gerrit+Bugzilla portion of the GitLab migration is now complete.

You can still comment on Gerrit changes, but it should otherwise be read-only. SSH access is still enabled for now in
order to make it easier to migrate changes. I'll shut it off in the next couple of weeks. (I also disabled the new UI
because it wasn't displaying the migration banner.)

Bugzilla should be read-only as well. Each Bugzilla bug should have a matching entry at
https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/issues

The migration went well except for one significant issue:

The issue creation script made the repository private in order to avoid rate limiting. If you do this through the web
interface, you're presented with a nice, clear warning that you'll sever the relationship of any forked repositories:

https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/public_access/public_access.html#reducing-visibility
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/33358
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/22417
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/19111

If you do it from the API there's no warning. Unfortunately this means that if you were proactive an forked
https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark then you either need to rename or remove your current repository and fork again.
Sorry about the hassle.

As mentioned in a previous email I'll be hosting a remote Developer Den tomorrow morning and Tuesday morning PDT.
Tomorrow's invitation is attached.