Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireless toolbar in Wireshark 3.0

From: Gordon Fyodor Lyon <gordon () nmap org>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 10:03:47 -0700

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 8:58 AM Maynard, Chris via Wireshark-users <
wireshark-users () wireshark org> wrote:

I'm not sure how up-to-date the https://secwiki.org/w/Npcap/WiFi_adapters
page is.  For example, my Wireless network card is the "Intel Dual Band
Wireless-AC 8260" card and I've been able to capture WiFi traffic in
monitor mode just fine using WlanHelper.exe, despite that page indicating
that it doesn't work.  Of course my driver version is slightly newer than
the one listed there, being 20.70.6.1 instead of 20.70.1.1, so perhaps
that's the reason.  Or possibly it didn't work with older versions of
npcap, so I'd recommend trying it with the latest available version,
currently 0.9983 from https://nmap.org/npcap/.

Hi Chris.  That's great news!  We do try to keep that page up to date, but
it depends on users letting us know what works (or doesn't) for them.  The
page (https://secwiki.org/w/Npcap/WiFi_adapters) has simple instructions at
the bottom for performing the necessary tests.  Then to report the results,
you can either create a SecWiki account (
https://secwiki.org/w/Special:RequestAccount) and edit the table directly,
or just send me the answers to the 10 fields in the table and I'll enter
them myself.  We hope this will encourage more vendors to fix their drivers
to better support raw capture and Radiotap, while also steering users
toward buying adapters which actually meet their needs.

So if anyone here has adapters not listed on that page, or if you are
seeing different results with newer drivers or newer Npcap, please send a
report.  Thanks!

Cheers,
Fyodor