Wireshark mailing list archives

Question about zip support

From: Roland Knall <rknall () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 00:25:13 +0200

I am currently implementing import/export of profiles. As easy as the
collection of the required information is, it becomes harder when it comes
to zipping it.

My initial intention was to just create a .zip container and use that. But
it turns out zlib does not support .zip, as it only supports compression
not container formats (duh - kind of obvious if you think about it).

Now I have two options going forward

a. Include a library in Wireshark (with all the necessary changes to the
buildbots, build system, dependencies, ...) that can handle .zip files
b. implement some form of serialization, which creates one big file that
can then be zipped using zlib in a similar way as our .pcapng files are.

a. has the nice touch to it, that you could create zip files from already
existing profiles and import them rather easily, as b. will be more compact
and not allow outside manipulation.

At this point I would leave it up to the -dev folks, anyone got a
preference for either?

cheers
Roland